I use the days between Christmas and New Year’s Day to review my old goals and write new ones. Today I reviewed all the goals I made for 2021 so I’m ready to revise and try again.
My 2022 Word of the Year
My 2022 Bible Verse of the Year
…you also, as living stones, are being built up a spiritual house, a holy priesthood, to offer up spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ.” – 1 Peter 2:5
This page is a living document – I may revise it at any time until the end of the year.
1. Mentoring program. – I joined Matt Tommey’s Christian artists’ mentoring program and am working through the lessons/modules/videos/worksheets/interviews on the mentoring program website. My goal is to continue to do this regularly throughout the year and to document my progress in my Prayerful Planner.
2. Art classes. – My goal is to complete Joanne Sharpe’s 2022 Artfully Inspired Life class. Also I may take classes in acrylic and watercolor. The acrylic classes, already paid for, are from Color by Feliks. The watercolor classes I haven’t made a decision about yet. Of course Joanne Sharpe does include watercolor in her classes, as well as other art media. I took a class from her in 2017 as well so I know what to expect. I’m considering Nicki Traikos for watercolor.
3. Habits. – My goal is to continue to apply paint daily (as much as possible) to various types of supports such as paper, boards, and canvas, or whatever else shows up to inspire me.
4. The Adventures in Creativity YouTube channel. My goal is to somehow get back into a studio situation where I can paint with a camera overhead, so I can add to this channel. Right now the situation is dismal as I’m living in a travel trailer that I don’t even own, but I’m hoping by the end of the year to be better situated for art making and simultaneous video production. I haven’t added to that channel since before the Slater Fire of 9/8/2020 destroyed my home and art studio setup.
5. What to focus on painting this year. After some delving into the world of mixed media I feel drawn back to simple folk art style acrylic painting and watercolor painting. I also like using gouache. My themes for 2022 will be birds and buildings, though I expect other ideas will come to me as the months go on.
6. Book illustration. – I plan to work on developing more skill in book illustration which may involve me working on illustrating some of the stories I’ve written.
7. Cargo trailer transformation. – My new idea for the cargo trailer, in case I can empty it of storage items… is to turn it into an art gallery I can take with me to art fairs and other places where I might be able to sell my folk art.
8. Vision boards. – I plan to make a vision board every three months to reflect my 90-day goals.
1. Reading challenges. – I will be doing a California Reading and Writing Challenge this year. I’m also continuing my reading of all the books on the Newbery List. So far I’ve read about 32% of them. I’ve read 59% of the medal winners. I’m also going to be doing the 2022 Christian Reading Challenge – 104 books that are either Christian or secular.
Booktube. – I hereby challenge myself to create eight new videos each month – or more. My Booktube channel (on YouTube) is Linda Book Lady. (Quitting Booktube until I’m less depressed.)
3. Book storage. – I bought a couple of small tabletop bookcases this year but I need more book storage. Right now many of my books are inaccessible as they are buried beneath some other heavy stored items in my cargo trailer. I want this to change.
My Life as a Christian
1. Bible study. – I plan to read the entire New Testament in 2022, and some of the Old Testament books as well.
2. Reading Christian books. – I have quite a few Christian books here that I’ve purchased and never read. I want to have at least one Christian book in progress (reading) at all times this year.
3. Relationship with Jesus. – Spend time daily with the Lord, not only praying, but also listening to Him and soaking in His Presence.
4. YouTube channel. My Christian YouTube channel is called Redeemed in Love. Here’s one of my favorite videos that I made for that channel. I challenge myself to make one new video for that channel every week in 2022. At this point I haven’t made one since before the forest fire that ate my home in 2020.
1. Diet. – Seek a reasonable balance in my eating activities. The Apostle Paul wrote: “I discipline my body and bring it under subjection.” (1 Corinthians 9:27) That’s my inspiration and my goal.
2. Health reading. – Have a diet/health book in progress at all times this year.
3. Food Supplements. – Become more regular in consuming them. I’ve now got a spreadsheet that explains to me the benefits of every food supplement I own, and I made a checklist to remind myself to take them but that isn’t working out well yet. I may need to modify it.
Home Sweet Home
1. Home Planning. – The challenge of re-homing myself continues.
2. Build. – Something, hopefully, will lead to home ownership for me again.
3. Inhabit. – I want to move back onto my property.
4. Decor. – Daydreaming right now. I live in a borrowed travel trailer and there’s not much I can do to change the decor in here. I did choose some colors for my home once it is built:
These images are from the Behr Paints website.
Writing and Editing
1. Write fiction. – Short stories only, as I see it, for now.
2. Edit novels. – I want to finish editing the Antediluvian Adventures series.
3. Write memoir. – Get into the flow and get it done.
4. Transcribe journals. – One notebook per month.
If I get half of this stuff done it will be a good year.